- 1989-1996 PhD Philosophy, London School of Economics, Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method. Thesis title: "On the relation between the normative and the empirical in the philosophy of science".
- 1987-89 MA Philosophy, Louisiana State University. Thesis title: "Descartes on God and the eternal truths".
- 1982-87 BA Philosophy, Louisiana State University.
- 2002- Lecturer, University of New York in Prague (Business Ethics, Introduction to Philosophy, Classics of Political Thought, Reason and Argument, Research Writing, Chance Risk and Probability).
- 2009- Researcher (vědecký pracovník), Department of Analytic Philosophy, Institute of Philosophy, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
- 1995-2009 Researcher (vědecký pracovník), Department of Logic, Institute of Philosophy, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
- 1993-94 Course Development Officer (Business Ethics, Scientific Method), Institute Business Performance Group, London School of Economics. (The Institute was an independent unit within the LSE, started with seed money from SmithKlein Beecham. It aimed to provide distance graduate education to middle and upper management.)
- 1990-94 Class teacher, London School of Economics (Social Philosophy, Advanced Social Philosophy, Introductory Logic, Philosophy of the Social Sciences, Philosophy of Economics, History of Modern Philosophy).
- 1987-89 Teaching Assistant, Louisiana State University (Introductory Logic, Introductory Ethics, Professional Ethics).
- Conference organization
- Co-organizer of the 2010 Prague International Colloquium "Epistemic Aspects of Many-valued Logics"
- Co-chair of the organizing committee of the international symposia Logica 2001-2006, 2008-2009, member of the organizing committee 1987-2000.
- Co-organizer of the 2009 Prague International Colloquium "Foundations of Uncertainty: Probability and its Rivals"
- Co-organizer of the 2005 Prague International Colloquium "Dutch Book Arguments".
- Co-organizer of the 2002 Prague International Colloquium "Formal Epistemology".
Member of the teams successfully completing grants
- Logica, 2003-2007, Grant Agency of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
- Logica 2000, 2000-2002, Grant Agency of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 2000-2002.
- The Logic of Semantics, Grant Agency of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 1999-2001.
- Conceptual representation in the information society, 1998-2000, Research Support Scheme, Open Society Foundation (166/1998).
Member of team currently undertaking grant
- Logical analysis - theories and applications: A comprehensive research project complemented with organizational and publication programmes, 2008-2010, Grant Agency of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
Principle Investigator of grant
- Formal and Historical Approaches to Epistemology, 2010-2012, Grant Agency of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic P401/10/1504.